Saturday, April 9, 2011

I'm STILL a Creative: 8 Hours Later

How quickly I forget.  How quickly I move from assurance to doubt.  How quickly I shift from confidence to insecurity. 

Yesterday morning I wrote a poem pronouncing “I am a Creative”!     Then, only 8 hours later, after reading some of the absolutely brilliant blog posts written by fellow re:create cruise travelers, I sat there thinking that I don’t even come close.  As I shared my thoughts with my husband he smiled and simply said, “Honey, just be you.”

At one of our sessions on the cruise this week, the fabulous Ken Davis (and not just fabulously funny, by the way, but also fabulously humble, passionate, honest and wise) was talking about just being yourself, and he said something like, “If I don’t do ‘me’ then ‘me’ don’t get done.”  I think he was actually quoting someone else (and that I’ve, in turn, misquoted him), but you get the point.

“If I don’t do ‘me’ then ‘me’ don’t get done.”  What if I don’t like ‘me’?  What if I spend my time wanting ‘me’ to be ‘her’ or ‘him’ or some crazy combination of ‘them’? 

The Bible says that I’m created in the image of God, but am I the only one that sometimes feels like the red-headed step-child in God’s family tree?  (and it doesn’t help that my natural hair color is red!)   Am I the only one that feels like the best parts of God’s image were handed out while I was on a potty break? 

My new friend Idelette is beautiful, fun, confident and creative.  Not to mention that she can pull off wearing big rings on her fingers, and big flowers in her hair!  I only met her a week ago (which is a story in and of itself) yet I know she will forever be in my life.  Idelette was definitely in line with the “good stuff” got handed out, and I want to be more like her! 

I also got to know Sam (now known as Vancouver Sam), a 24 year old Canadian creative with big ideas and the guts to make them happen!  When God handed out the “I have something important to say” gene, Sam was first in line.  He’s got ambition, faith, a strong will, and a creative gift.  He’s going to go far.  I wish I’d had his confidence when I was 24…heck, I wish I had his confidence now!

Then there’s Ben, who happens to be Sam’s brother.  At the age of 22, Ben is already a war veteran.  He has seen things that no one should have to see, yet he approaches life with a smile on his face.  He has dreams of opening a camp for teen boys, to teach them what it really means to be a Godly man.  I believe his dream will come true, and there will be an entire generation of Canadian men who are more respectful, kind, hopeful and adventurous because Ben is in God’s family tree. 

I could go on and on about the people with whom I spent my time this week, and I will share more about them in future posts.  But the point here is…if any of these new friends of mine decide not to be themselves, not to fully embrace the ‘me’ that they are, the world will be worse for it.  And I will be worse for it, because I adore them, and I want them to be all that God made them to be. 

And as hard as it is for me to imagine, I think maybe they want the same for me.  So no matter how I feel, the truth is the truth…I am God’s child…valued and valuable…created and creative, and “if I don’t do ‘me’ then ‘me’ don’t get done.” 


4 comments:

  1. One day at a time. One hour at a time. (8 down, millions to go.)

    Be fully yourself, fully alive, in each and every present moment. Embrace it all. Good and bad. Easy and Hard.

    I, for one, am so grateful that you are you. Nobody could possibly be as great a you as you are. Step into it and keep your heart wide open.

    I love YOU.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes..baby steps. But I must say, You ARE a creative ---or you could not write like this...you touch my heart SO deeply!!

    From one me to another!

    Thanks, Kim!

    ReplyDelete
  3. KIM, this was a wonderful recap~ I am so sorry I did not meet you on the cruise... I did not get the chanc to meet many people unfortunatly as our good friend on the cruise had her tradgedy with the miscarriages of her twins... but I hope to know you now through this and it is a wonderful beginning to my own unpacking of the week since I left in a bit of a fog from our groups shared sadness. I look forward to reading more!
    Tammy Brown

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lovely

    What came to mind while reading your post was that wonderful piece by Marianne Williamson, made famous by Nelson Mandela during his inaugural speech in 1994. You probably know it, but I can always do with a reminder myself, so here goes:

    “Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.”

    So, yes, you are meant to shine brightly and beautifully. And you do, in your own gloriously God-breathed way. I, for one, am really thankful that you are you.

    ReplyDelete