Sunday, May 29, 2011

We Are All Worship Leaders

I’ll admit to you right up front…I stole the ideas for this post from the Worship Pastor at my church (Southeast Christian Church,Parker, CO), Jeff Percival.  Jeff not only led the music portion of the service today, but he also did the teaching, and his words have resonated in my soul all day. 

He used this great quote by Louie Giglio…

“I think all music – not just Christian music – is worship music because every song is amplifying the value of something.  There’s a trail of our time, our affection, our allegiance, our devotion, our money.  That trail leads to a throne, and whatever’s on that throne is what we worship.  We’re all doing a great job of it because God has created us to be worshippers.  The problem is that a lot of us have really bad gods.”

He also used Luke 4:18-19...

“The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, for he has anointed me to bring Good News to the poor.  He has sent me to proclaim that captives will be released, that the blind will see, that the oppressed will be set free, and that the time of the Lord’s favor has come.” (NLT)

So, here’s the deal friends…We are ALL worship leaders!   Each and every one of us…believer or non-believer, old or young, those employed in ministry and those employed in secular organizations…we are ALL worship leaders.

Why would I say that?  Here’s why…
  1. God made us to be worshippers, and we all worship something
  2. The life I am living amplifies the value of whatever I worship (if I worship money, my life will amplify the value of being wealthy…If I worship fame, my life will amplify the value of being well-known and recognized…if I worship Jesus, my life will amplify the value of Christ himself)
  3. Others will recognize and resonate with the things that I worship…those things that are amplified in my life.
  4. I am, just by the very nature of what is amplified in my life, leading others into worship of something…I am a worship leader.

So, here’s the question…

Your life amplifies the value of something…what is it?  What is resonating with others when they are with you?  What kind of worship are you leading?

3 comments:

  1. Those are great questions. I have never thought about my life like that.

    Being aware of questions like is really going to make me intentional about what I want the answers to be. (Working on my "Life Plan" has put some great questions before me, too.) This will keep me thinking for some time, and may become a part of my "Life Plan".

    Thanks, Kim.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the reminder & encouragement. Everything we do and say is a reflection of the place Jesus holds in our life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just got to reading this. Great post! There's a saying that it's not what goes into your mouth that makes it dirty, but what comes out. Similar principle. If your focus is on things other than God, that's what goes into the soul and that's what comes out again. If God is your focus, His thoughts go in, that which glorifies Him comes out.

    ReplyDelete